Einkorn apple pie is an old-fashioned favorite. This warm, comforting American classic is made with an heirloom grain, fresh apples, and unrefined natural sugar.
There’s something so sweet and nostalgic about apple pie. Although we harvest apples from our beautiful old tree in the summer, there’s something about the mouthwatering aroma of fresh baked apple pie that is reminiscent of fall and all the coziness that accompanies the season.
Two autumns ago, when I was pregnant with Wilder Baby, I read Farmer Boy (my favorite Little House book) snuggled under blankets with Little Bear. I loved reading about all the delicious food Almanzo’s mother made for her family, such as homemade apple pie.
But best of all Almanzo liked the spicy apple pie, with its thick, rich juice and its crumbly crust. He ate two big wedges of the pie.Farmer Boy
Like Almanzo, my little boys love to eat made-from-scratch apple pie. Almanzo’s mother likely used butter or lard, but this recipe I’m sharing with you is completely plant based and dairy free.
From picking apples in the backyard to rolling out einkorn pie dough in the kitchen, I hope that my children will have cozy, fond, lasting memories of making apple pie together. Hope you enjoy this simple recipe as much as we do.
Tips for Making Einkorn Apple Pie
- Chill the pie dough balls in the fridge while you prepare the pie filling.
- Choose an apple variety that’s suitable for baking such as Granny Smith.
- Flute the pie crust by pinching it with the index finger and thumb of one hand and the index finger of the other. Of course, you could press it with the tines of a fork instead.
- Use cookie cutters to decorate the top. You could use a single one to create the vent on top, or make various shapes to decorate the pie.
How to Make Homemade Dairy-Free Apple Pie
First make the pie crust. In this recipe, I share how to make an einkorn crust from scratch; however, feel free to use your favorite pie dough recipe or even a store-bought one.
Next, make the apple pie filling by combining thinly sliced apples, einkorn flour, sugar, spices, salt, lemon juice and zest.
After the filling is prepared, roll out the dough and gently place half into a pie pan that has been greased with coconut oil. Trim any excess, but don’t throw it away; the extra bits can be used to decorate the top.
Add apple mixture to the bottom crust and dot with coconut oil.
Roll out the remaining half of the pie crust. Place it on top of the filling, flute the edges with your fingers, and vent by cutting slits in the top. My personal preference is to cut the dough into even strips, which are weaved to make a lattice crust.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425, reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 35-45 minutes more until the juices are bubbling and the top is slightly golden.
Enjoy with homemade vanilla nice cream.
Einkorn Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups Einkorn All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 6-7 tbsp Ice Water
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 8 tart apples
- 3/4 cup coconut or maple sugar
- 3 tablespoons einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- dash fine sea salt
Make the pie crust
- Stir einkorn flour and salt together.
- Add coconut oil to flour and salt, blending with your fingers.
- Add ice water until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into two equally sized balls (one for the bottom crust, one for the top).
Make the pie filling
- Peel and slice the apples thinly.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, salt, spices, lemon zest, lemon juice, and apples in a medium bowl.
Assemble apple pie
- Roll out pie dough and add one into a greased pie dish. Trim any excess dough.
- Add the apple mixture and dot with coconut oil.
- Cover with another crust, flute the edges with your fingers, and cut vents in the top. Alternatively, make a lattice crust or decorate as desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425, reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 35-45 minutes more until the juices are bubbling and the top is slightly golden.